Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ) is a pain disorder in the joint that connects your jaw to your skull. Causes of TMJ Syndrome include injury to teeth or jaw, misalignment of teeth or jaw, teeth grinding, poor posture, stress, arthritis and gum chewing.
Are you suffering from one or many of the following symptoms?
- Pain in the jaw joint
- Jaw clicking and popping
- Ear pain/ earache
- Popping sounds in ears
- Stiff or sore jaw muscles
- Pain in temple area
- Locking of the jaw joint
When at home remedies including ice packs and over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs aren’t helping your situation, medical treatment by a dentist is a great option.
There are many treatment options that we can discuss in treating your TMJ. Depending on what may be causing TMJ will be how treatment is decided.
Some of our treatment options are as follows
- Medications Non-steroidal antiinflammatories (NSAID)
- Mouth Night Guard to prevent grinding and clenching your jaw at night (or daytime).
- Dental Work may be needed to replace missing teeth that could be causing your jaw to not align correctly.
- Botox Injections can eliminate headaches, jaw pain and tension resulting from teeth grinding and stress. This is accomplished by paralyzing the muscles of chewing that are overworked.